Thursday, April 21, 2011

Science Autobiographies.....

  • What are the skills and strengths that you bring to the schoolscience experience?
I now bring excitement and diversity to the school science experiment. I will use inquiry as a main focus while curriculum planning. Technology will be used as often as possible, and if possible, all of my activities will be hands on, minds on. Doing is learning.
  • What are the areas in which you would like to improve as you set about doing science with students?
I would like to improve in my timing and knowledge. There is so much out there to learn, and there are so many interactive activities and ideas that I want to learn. I will never stand in front of the room to lecture followed by a test ever!!!! My timing needs improvement as far as lesson plans being carried out during a specified time frame, however, I believe this will come together with experience.
  • How did your scientific self develop during this course?
My scientific self developed ten fold during this course. Dr. Smirnova brought me to a different world of learning, through technology and inquiry. I see the world of learning through a different set of eyes now thanks to this course. I went from hating science to wanting to be a science teacher! I love it!!!
  • How do you define “science” now as you prepare to teach it?
Science is a process. Science is observing, exploring, applying, constructing, and asking questions followed by reflections. Science is everywhere, and it is everything that could be posed as a question. Science is AMAZING!
  • What is your favorite science web site?
One of my favorite science websites is exploratorium.com this site is a science archive site that you can find information almost about anything in the wonderful world of science. It provides you resources, activities and numerous ideas for everything! 
  • What contemporary science news event most interests you?
stem cell research and cancer research. Being a mother of three and a daughter to someone who is battling cancer, I want to know what new advances are coming about in both of these issues.
  • What do you think is your greatest challenge in teaching science?
My greatest challenge is keeping my students engaged through differentiation, I need to ensure I stay current not only with the curriculum but also with technology so I can be sure it is integrated in my curriculum as much as possible!
  • How will technology help you stay current and teach science in an innovative way?
It will keep me current and teach in an innovative way through attending webcasts, following blogs, and other science websites, as well as being able to have the world at my fingertips. I will have to do explore regularly and technology will help me by RSS feeds,  internet, blogging, workshops, interactive classrooms, virtual field trips, gaming etc. My students will not be strangers to technology by any means, I will ensure they know so much about technology that they will be teaching their future teachers about it!!!! What would this world be without technology?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment